University of Warwick
Professor of Philosophy and Co-Director, Centre for Research in Post-Kantian Philosophy, Sept. 2021-
Birkbeck, University of London, Sept. 2014-Sept. 2021
Reader in Philosophy, Oct. 2019- Sept. 2021
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, Oct. 2018- Oct. 2019
Lecturer in Philosophy, Sept. 2014- Sept. 2018
Exeter College, University of Oxford, Oct. 2012–Sept. 2014
Michael Cohen Career Development Fellow in Philosophy
Princeton University, Ph.D. Fall 2012
Dissertation: “Nietzsche on the Decadence and Flourishing of Culture," Advisor: Alexander Nehamas
Brown University, A.B., magna cum laude, with Honors in Philosophy, 2006
Pembroke College, Cambridge, Visiting Undergraduate, 2005
Areas of Specialization
19th and 20th Century European Philosophy, Aesthetics, Ethics
Areas of Competence
Kant, Epistemology, Social and Political Philosophy
39. Nietzsche on the Decadence and Flourishing of Culture (Oxford University Press, 2019).
38. “‘Only Through Time Time is Conquered’: Proust on Death” in The Proustian Mind, ed. Tom Stern and Anna Elsner (Routledge, forthcoming, 2022)
37. “Ressentiment,” Ethics 131:4 (2021).
36. “Affirmation, Admirable Overvaluation, and the Eternal Recurrence,” Nietzsche on Morality and Affirmation, ed. Daniel Came (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
35. "Narratives of Decadence in Post-Kantian Philosophy," in The Oxford Handbook of Decadence, ed. Jane Desmarais and David Weir (Oxford University Press, 2021).
34. “Nietzsche’s Aesthetics,” Philosophy Compass 15:11 (2020).
33. “Nietzsche on the Decadence and Flourishing of Culture: Reply to Critics,” Journal of Nietzsche Studies 51:2 (2020).
32. “Adorno’s Aesthetic Model of Social Critique,” Blackwell Companion to Adorno, ed. Peter Gordon, Espen Hammer, and Max Pensky (Blackwell, 2020).
31. “Nietzsche on Nihilism: A Unifying Thread,” Philosophers’ Imprint 19:11 (2019).
30. “Nietzsche on Magnanimity, Greatness and Greatness of Soul, ” forthcoming in Virtues of Greatness: Approaches to the Past and Present of Magnanimity, ed. Sophia Vasalou (Oxford University Press).
29. “Why and (How) We Read Nietzsche,”Journal of Nietzsche Studies 49:2 (2018)
28. “Nietzsche” in Blackwell Companion to Nineteenth Century Philosophy, ed. J.A. Shand (Blackwell, 2019).
27. “Nietzsche on Decadence as a Psychic Failing,” Decadence and Decay, ed. Richard Miles and William O’Reilly (Ax:son Johnson, 2019).
26. Against ‘Egypticism’: Nietzsche on Understanding and ‘Defining’ Concepts,” Routledge
Philosophy Minds: Nietzsche, ed. Paul Katsafanas (Routledge, 2018).
25. “Nietzsche on the Health of the Soul,” Inquiry 60:2 (2017), p. 135-164.
24. “Normativity and the Will to Power: Challenges for a Nietzschean Constitutivism," Journal of Nietzsche Studies 47:3 (2016), p. 435-456.
23. “Nietzsche and the Hope of Normative Convergence,” Does Anything Really Matter? Parfit on Objectivity, ed. Peter Singer, (Oxford University Press, 2017).
22.“Kunstreligion Redeemed: From Religion to Art in Parsifal,” Nietzsche und Wagner: Perspektiven ihrer Auseinandersetzung, ed. Jutta Georg and Renate Reschke (de Gruyter, 2016)
21. “What is Enshrined in Morality?: Understanding the Grounds for Nietzsche’s Critique,”Inquiry 58:3 (2015), p. 281-307
20. “Hegel on Comedy: Theodicy, Social Criticism, and the ‘Supreme Task’ of Art,” British Journal of Aesthetics 54:2 (2014), p. 227-40
19. “'Consecration to Culture': Nietzsche on Slavery and Human Dignity,” Journal of the History of Philosophy 52:1 (2014), p. 135-160.
18. “Nietzsche’s Meta-axiology: Against the Sceptical Readings,” British Journal for the History of Philosophy 22:2 (2014), p.322-43.
17. “The Conversation Argument for Actual Intentionalism,” British Journal of Aesthetics 52:3 (2012),p. 241-256.
16. “Naughty Beliefs,” Philosophical Studies 160:2 (2012), p. 209-222.
15. “In Defense of Artistic Value,” Philosophical Quarterly 62:249 (2012), p. 705-714.
14. The Monist, 102:3, special issue on Nietzsche, July 2019 [co-edited with Ken Gemes]
13. Review of Dominic McIver Lopes, Being for Beauty: Aesthetic Agency and Value (Oxford University Press, 2018) Philosophical Quarterly, forthcoming (2021).
12. Review of Brian Leiter, Moral Psychology with Nietzsche (Oxford University Press, 2019), Journal of Nietzsche Studies, Vol. 51, No. 2 (2020).
11. Review of Benedetta Zavatta, Individuality and Beyond: Nietzsche Reads Emerson (Oxford University Press, 2019) Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (April 2020).10. Review of Hans Maes, Conversations on Art and Aesthetics, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (February 2018)
10. Review of Hans Maes, Conversations on Art and Aesthetics (Oxford University Press, 2017), Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (February 2018)
9. “Nietzsche’s Journey,” Times Literary Supplement, [combined review of 4 recent books] (May 2017)
8. Review of Hugo Drochon, Nietzsche’s Great Politics, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, (December 2016)
7. Review of Christopher Janaway and Simon Robertson, eds., Nietzsche, Naturalism, and Normativity (Oxford University Press, 2013), Mind 125 (500) (2016), p. 1259-1262
6. Review of Daniel Came, ed., Nietzsche on Art and Life (Oxford University Press, 2014), British Journal for the History of Philosophy (May 2015).
5. Review of Julian Young, ed., Individual and Community in Nietzsche’s Philosophy (Cambridge University Press, 2015) Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (April 2015).
4. Review of Anthony Jensen, Nietzsche’s Philosophy of History (Cambridge, 2013), Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (January 2014).
3. Review of Andy Hamilton and Nick Zangwill, eds., Scruton’s Aesthetics (Palgrave-Macmillan, 2012), British Journal of Aesthetics (2013).
2. Review of Amy Coplan and Peter Goldie, eds., Empathy: Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives (Oxford University Press, 2011), Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Vol. 71, Issue 2 (2013)
1. Review of Terence Irwin, The Development of Ethics: A Historical and Critical Study, (Oxford University Press, 2009), Vol. III, chapter on Nietzsche, in The Philosophical Forum, Vol. 42, Issue 3, p. 320 (Fall 2011).
Work in Progress:
Art’s Highest Calling: The Religion of Art in a Secular Age (book project on post-Kantian German aesthetics)
“Death” in The Proustian Mind, ed. Tom Stern and Anna Elsner (Routledge).
“Schopenhauer and Music,” in The Schopenhauerian Mind, ed. Tim Stoll and David Woods (Routledge).
Honors and Awards
Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship, Princeton University, 2011-12
Dissertation fellowship that is Princeton’s highest honor for graduate students. Awarded annually, following nomination by one’s department to four students across the university, one from each division.
Graduate Prize Fellowship, Center for Human Values, Princeton University, 2010-2011
Dissertation fellowship awarded annually to ten students across the university working on topics relating to the human values.
Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University (Elected as a Junior), 2005
First Class Honors on Exams, Cambridge University, 2005
Papers Delivered/ Upcoming:
University of Essex, Feb. 24, 2022
University of Warwick, Post-Kantian Seminar, Winter 2022
London Aesthetics Forum, Winter 2022
Aristotelian Society, London, February 2022
Johns Hopkins University, Feb 2020
MIT, November 2019
University of California, Riverside, February 2019
"The Consolations of Art"
Johns Hopkins University, Dept. of German and Romance Languages, February 2020
MIT, November 2019
"Aesthetic Experience and Religious Experience in Post-Kantian Philosophy of Art"
LMU-NYU Conference on Aesthetic Emotions and Responses, Venice, September 2019
"The Cult of Beauty: What was Paterian Aestheticism?"
European Society of Aesthetics, Warsaw, June 2019
“The Idea of an ‘Art-Religion,’”
European Society of Aesthetics, June 2018
British Society of Aesthetics, September 2017
“The Religion of Tragedy”
Tragedy Ancient and Modern Conference, University of Oslo, March 2018
“Nietzsche on Nihilism: A Unifying Thread”
Princeton University, December 2017
Post-Kantian Receptions of the Enlightenment, London, August 2017
Boston University, May 2017
“Hegel, Art, and Knowledge of the Divine”
American Society of Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, New Orleans, November 2017
“The Idea of an 'Art-Religion”
British Society of Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Oxford, September 2017
“Normativity and Meta-Normativity in Aesthetics”
Aesthetic Normativity Conference, Salt Lake City, May 2017
Varieties of Normativity Conference, Uppsala University, January 2016
“‘Against Egypticism’: Nietzsche on Understanding and Defining Concepts”
University of Southampton, March 2017
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, November 2016
“Why I am Not a Restrictive Intentionalist”
American Society of Aesthetics, Seattle, November 2016
British Society of Aesthetics, Oxford, September 2016
University of Kent, March 2016
Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Texas, Austin, February 2016
“The Nietzschean Self and the Eternal Recurrence”
Conference in Honor of Alexander Nehamas, Princeton University, October 2016
“The Uses and Disadvantages of Bildung for Life”
Joint Session, Mind Association and Aristotelian Society, Cardiff, July 2016
“Nietzsche on the Health of the Soul”
International Society of Nietzsche Studies, University of Bonn, June 2016
Hungarian Academy of Sciences, November 2015
Cardiff University, October 2015
Colgate University, September 2015
“Meaning and Culture in The Birth of Tragedy”
Temple University, April 2016
University of California, Riverside, April 2016
University of Oslo, May 2015
“Beyond Value: Expanding Aesthetic Normativity”
New University of Lisbon, December 2015
American Society of Aesthetics, Savannah, November 2015
Aesthetics, Reasons, and Normativity Conference, University of Kent, June 2015
European Society of Aesthetics Annual Meeting, Dublin, June 2015
4th Annual Dubrovnik Aesthetics Conference, Dubrovnik, April 2015
Aesthetic Normativity Conference, Uppsala University, Sweden, October 2014
“Nietzsche and the Early German Romantics”
British Society for the History of Philosophy Annual Meeting, York, April 2015
“Nietzsche on the Decadence of Individuals and Cultures”
Interdisciplinary Conference on Decadence, Trinity Hall, Cambridge, September 2014
Alpine Seminar, Aldourrie, Scotland, August 2014
“Normativity and the Will to Power: Challenges for a Nietzschean Constitutivism”
“Nietzsche, Value, and Self Constitution” Conference, Oxford, UK, May 2014
“Finding Content in Absolute Music”
European Society of Aesthetics, Amsterdam, May 2014
British Society of Aesthetics, Cambridge, UK, September 2013
Nordic Society of Aesthetics, University of Oslo, May 2013
“What is Enshrined in Morality?: Understanding the Grounds for Nietzsche’s Critique”
University of Sussex, UK, March 2014
Lingnan University, Hong Kong, March 2014
“Nietzsche on Decadence and its Remedies”
“Nietzsche and Kantian Politics” Conference, John Cabot University, Rome, December 2013
Berliner Nietzsche Kolloquium, Technische Universität Berlin, November 2013
“Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose: Friday Night Lights and the Value of Inspiration” [with Errol Lord]
American Society of Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, San Diego, October 2013
“Kunstreligion Redeemed: From Religion to Art in Wagner’s Parsifal”
“Nietzsche und Wagner. Perspektiven ihrer Auseinandersetzung,” Internationaler Nietzsche Kongress, Naumburg, Germany, October 2013
“Truth and the Ambitions of (Great) Art”
International Congress of Aesthetics, Krakow, Poland, July 2013
University of Leeds, November 2012
“Nietzsche on the Standing of Values”
Post-Kantian European Philosophy Seminar, Oxford, November 2012
Princeton-Humboldt Graduate Philosophy Workshop, Berlin, July 2011
Princeton Workshop in Normative Philosophy, March 2011
“Nietzsche and the Contingency of Greatness”
Evian International Philosophy Colloquium, Evian-les-Bains, France, July 2012
“Art as Culture and Culture as Art: Tracing a Theme from The Birth of Tragedy to Nietzsche’s Later Work”
European Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Braga and Guimaraes, Portugal, June 2012
“The Grounds for Nietzsche’s Critique of Morality”
University of New Hampshire, September 2011
“In Defense of Artistic Value as Achievement Value”
British Society of Aesthetics, Edinburgh, September 2011
European Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Grenoble, France, April 2011
8th Annual University of Miami Graduate Conference in Epistemology, January 2011
“Nietzsche’s Cultural Perfectionism”
14th Annual Oxford Philosophy Graduate Conference, Oxford, U.K., November 2010
“The Location of Artistic Value: Against Aesthetic Consumerism”
16th Annual Evian Philosophy Colloquium, “Art, l’ Art, Kunst,” Evian-les-Bains, France, July 2010
American Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Victoria, British Columbia, October 2010
“Nietzsche’s Holistic Perfectionism”
“Nietzsche’s Postmoralism” conference, University of Southampton, U.K., July 2010
“‘Das Ganze Lebt Überhaupt Nicht Mehr’: Nietzsche on the Decadence of Individuals and Cultures”
Joint Conference, European Society for Aesthetics and the Associazione Italiana degli Studiosi di Estetica, University of Udine, Italy, May 2010
“Intention and Conversation”
8th Annual Graduate Conference, Brown University, November 2009
British Society of Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Oxford University, September 2009
“Literature and Philosophical Conversation”
University of Sussex, U.K., June 2008
Presentations: Comments Delivered
On Paul Guyer’s, “Community and Individuality in Aesthetic Experience: McMahon on Art and Morality”
Aesthetic Normativity Conference, Uppsala University, Sweden, October, 2014
On Marta Zareba’s, “The Ontology of Theatrical Script”
Oxford Philosophy Graduate Conference, Oxford, November 2013
On Mark Harris’s, “The Puzzle of Negatively Moving Music”
Princeton-Oxford-Jean Nicod CRNAP Conference, Oxford, June 2013
On Guy Elgat’s, “Nietzsche’s Critique of Schopenhauer on the Value of Aesthetic Experience”
American Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, St. Louis, October 2012
On Jens Ziska’s, “Skorupski on Practical Reasons to Believe”
Princeton-Oxford-Jean Nicod CRNAP Conference, Paris, July 2012
On Murray Skees’s, “In Defense of Euripides: Truly the Most Tragic of Poets”
American Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Tampa, October 2011
On Romy Jaster’s “Contextualizing Free Will”
Princeton-Humboldt Graduate Philosophy Workshop, Berlin, July 2011
On Greg Canning’s “Nietzsche’s ‘Gay Science’ as Aesthetics,”
American Society for Aesthetics, Eastern Division Meeting, Philadelphia, April 2011
On Roger Paden’s “Schopenhauer, Klimt, and the Beethoven Frieze”
American Society for Aesthetics Annual Meeting, Denver, October 2009
University of Warwick
2021-22 Nietzsche (BA course); Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil (PG seminar); The 'Religion of Art' in Post-Kantian Philosophy (PG Seminar)
Birkbeck, University of London
2020-2021 Nietzsche (Upper-level BA and MA course); Kant and German Idealism (Upper-level BA and MA course)
2019-20: Nietzsche (Upper-level BA and MA course) [jointly with Ken Gemes]; Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophical Research Methods (MA Seminar).
2018-9: The Power of Art (Upper-level BA and MA course) [jointly with Susan James]; Philosophy of Nietzsche (Upper-level BA and MA course) [jointly with Ken Gemes]; Kant and German Idealism [Mid-level BA and MA course]; Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology (Introductory MA course).
2017-8: Philosophy of Nietzsche [with Ken Gemes] (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophy of Hegel (Upper-level BA and MA course); Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology (Introductory MA course).
2016-7: Philosophy of Nietzsche [with Ken Gemes] (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophy of Kant (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophy of Hegel (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophical Research Methods (MA Seminar).
2015-16: Philosophy of Nietzsche [with Ken Gemes] (Upper-level BA and MA course); Epistemology (Mid-level BA course); Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophical Research Methods (MA Seminar); Postgraduate Research Seminar
2014-15: Philosophy of Kant (Upper-level BA and MA course); Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology (Introductory MA course); Epistemology (Mid-level BA course); Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Postgraduate Research Seminar
Exeter College, Oxford
2012-14: Tutorials and/or revision sessions in:
Final Honour Schools papers (i.e, for upper-year students):
Post-Kantian Philosophy (Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Heidegger)
Knowledge and Reality
Mods/Prelims papers (i.e., for 1st yr. students):
Faculty of Philosophy, University of Oxford
Trinity 2014: Seminar in Aesthetics (jointly with Jim Grant)
Trinity 2013: Lectures in Aesthetics (jointly with John Hyman)
Upper-level undergraduate lecture course
German; French; Italian (Basic)
College/ Departmental Service
Convenor, MA in Continental Philosophy
Co-Director, Centre for Research in Post-Kantian Philosophy
BA Examinations Chair (2020-)
MA Examinations Chair (2014-)
MRes. Examinations Chair (2016-)
Acting MPhilStud Examinations Chair (2016-2020)
Chair of International Programs Exam Board (2016-2018; 2020-)
Birkbeck Institute for the Humanities, Steering Committee (2018- )
Birkbeck Institute for the Moving Image, Steering Committee (2020- )
Faculty of Philosophy
Assessor, Philosophy Final Honour Schools (2013-14)
Governing Body (Oct. 2012-August 2014)
President, Senior Common Room (from Oct. 2013 to August 2014)
Chair, 700th Anniversary Music Sub-comittee (Feb. 2013 to April 2014)
Tutorial Board (Oct. 2012 to August 2014)
Dean of Degrees (April 2013 to July 2014)
Rector & Tutors Committee (Oct. 2013 to August 2014)
Chapel Committee (Oct. 2013 to August 2014)
Book Reviews Editor and Editorial Committee Member, European Journal of Philosophy
Area Editor, Ergo
Editorial Board, British Journal for the History of Philosophy
Referee, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Mind, European Journal of Philosophy, Journal of the History of Philosophy, Ethics; Routledge, Oxford University Press, Princeton University Press; Bloomsbury Press; British Journal of Aesthetics; British Journal for the History of Philosophy; Journal of the American Philosophical Association; American Philosophical Quarterly; Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie; Australasian Journal of Philosophy; Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism; Philosophical Studies; Analysis; Nietzsche-Studien, Ethical Theory and Moral Practice; Hegel Bulletin; Journal of Value Inquiry; Philosophical Quarterly; Journal of Philosophical Research; Ergo; South African Journal of Philosophy, Journal of Nietzsche Studies, Canadian Journal of Philosophy, Estetika, Inquiry, Tropos: Rivista di Ermeneutica e Critica Filosofica, Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy; Review of Metaphysics, Epoche, History of Philosophy Quarterly
Trustee, British Society of Aesthetics, 2018-2021
Executive Committee Member and Treasurer, Royal Musical Association Music and Philosophy Study Group, 2014-
Principal Organizer, London Aesthetics Forum, 2014-2021
Advisory Board, The Alpine Fellowship, 2017
External Referee for Hiring/ Academic Promotion at Several U.S. and U.K. Universities
External Examiner, University of Warwick, M.A. in Continental Philosophy / MPhil Program, 2020-21
Program Committee Chair, North American Nietzsche Society, 2020 Conference
Program Committee, North American Nietzsche Society, 2016 Conference, 2018 Conference
Program Committee, American Society of Aesthetics 2019 Conference
Program Committee, British Society of Aesthetics, 2018 Conference
Organizing Committee, Normativity and German Idealism Workshop, May 2015
Member, American Philosophical Association; North American Nietzsche Society; American Society for Aesthetics; British Society of Aesthetics; European Society for Aesthetics